City Hippy

The diary of our struggle to live a green and fair life.

Google Search:


City Hippy

CityHippy has posted its last post now (I now work for EMP plc, run At Home magazine online and more and personally blog over at http://www.altepper.com). Why? Click here to find out. We might be back. Keep our RSS feeds, keep us bookmarked, sign up for the news alert on the right. You never know...


We are dedicated to exploring how to live a greener and more ethical life. City Hippy is a growing collective of writers bringing you two types of content:

ARTICLES: Enjoy real content by real people trying really hard to live a greener and fairer life. Generally in-depth with weekly updates at least. Located in main body below.Subscribe:
 
BOOKMARKS: Follow our web travels & explore our 1400+ links to a greener life across various categories i.e. baby, cosmetics, DIY, furniture, garden & shopping. Short, sharp and frequent updates. Located down to the right. Click here to see our latest three bookmarks.Subscribe:

ARTICLES:

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

WEEKLY Q: An Eco-Footprint Toolkit?

Have just posted the second post in my exclusive Everyday Green series over at The Ecologist Blog and this week it ties in perfectly to the CityHippy Weekly Q series.

In next weeks 'post 3' I intend to start measuring my eco-footprint. I will therefore publish details of what I intend to measure, why and how - an eco-footprint toolkit if you will.

So this weeks question is: What elements of my eco impact do you think I should measure, why and what methods do you recommend for measuring them.

Please do remember that this is a tool not for experts but for regular people to use.

Of course I will be happy to credit you if I use a tool or method you recommend.

The resulting eco-footprint toolkit should be a fantastic, practical and useful starting point for anyone wishing to measure their own eco-footprint.

Once I have a starting point and can assess our eco-footprint I can look at reducing that eco-footprint in an easy and doable way.

I look forward to your responses.

Namaste

Al

Technorati tags:












1 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Blogger Alotta Errata said...

This is by no means scientific, but since I've been more agressive in my recycling and reducing my packaging waste by choosing packaging that is reusable or recylable, I've noticed a marked decrease in the number of garbage bags I use every week. Since I know the size of my garbage bag hasn't changed, it must be the amount of waste I've been creating.

Another way might be to measure the percentage of food that comes from local or organic sources. I'm not sure how to measure that though. Maybe by product category? For example, you buy a head of lettuce at the grocery store (not local or organic) and buy your tomatos from the local fruit stand, then half of your produce comes from local/organic sources?

I'm very interested to see what you come up with!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home