City Hippy

The diary of our struggle to live a green and fair life.

Google Search:


City Hippy

CityHippy has posted its last post now (I now work for EMP plc, run At Home magazine online and more and personally blog over at http://www.altepper.com). Why? Click here to find out. We might be back. Keep our RSS feeds, keep us bookmarked, sign up for the news alert on the right. You never know...


We are dedicated to exploring how to live a greener and more ethical life. City Hippy is a growing collective of writers bringing you two types of content:

ARTICLES: Enjoy real content by real people trying really hard to live a greener and fairer life. Generally in-depth with weekly updates at least. Located in main body below.Subscribe:
 
BOOKMARKS: Follow our web travels & explore our 1400+ links to a greener life across various categories i.e. baby, cosmetics, DIY, furniture, garden & shopping. Short, sharp and frequent updates. Located down to the right. Click here to see our latest three bookmarks.Subscribe:

ARTICLES:

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

WEEKLY Q: If you had to pick one green act?

Last week I asked what 'being green means to you' and this week I am curious to know what is the most important thing you do to be green.

What one thing would you do if you could do nothing else?

For me it would be thinking before I spend money about whether there is a greener choice. But opting out of advertising comes a close second i.e. actively deconstructing the messages delivered to me by those I do not trust.

Thoughts?

Namaste

Al

Technorati tags:







6 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Al, I agree that considering the environment when making purchases is very important, whether it be buying something with less packaging, or something made in a more environmentally friendly way, or a more energy efficient "something", this green act covers a lot of ground. In fact I think it's only topped by the act of not buying the "something" at all. And that's a really difficult one to do. After all, I was brought up to be a consumer and it's hard to break the habit of a lifetime.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger City Hippy said...

Indeed...although sadly the economy requires people to spend money...if people stop spending money the economy collapses...and personally I am not sure that would be a good thing...

What a paradox eh?? Still, at least if we have to spend money we can spend it in the right directions...

Namaste

Al

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I recently discovered your site, so I thought I'd chime in:)

Tough question. I guess I'd have to go with opting out of the "corporate" economy and going local. I'm afraid I'm already guilty of Not Buying - I'm a dedicated freecycler! But yeah, buying exclusively from locally-owned businesses, artisans, and farmers would be my choice.

 
At 4:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Al,
I'm trying to live my life "consciously" and think about my choices and how they impact the environment. It could be as simple as the choice between the can of coke and water out of the tap to choosing a high efficiency washing machine. And of course I love buying things made out recycled materials!! ...but not too much. Thanks for the thought provoking question!
Liz

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think for me as aparent of 4 kids it is most implortant to teach my children, maybe show is abetter word than teach, all the thing you and your readers have talked about. I am constantlly amazed at how the simple thing i.e ridibg your bike, walking in the garden, going to the farmers market, can become the best part of my day if I share them with a child.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger City Hippy said...

So many great comments...bike riding is quite iconic really...I get your point big time.

Renee I hear ya...it's a more advanced option for sure.

Liz, I think your point is spot on...it is about engaging our minds again in our every day lives. Looking for alternatives, questioning our often automatic actions...

Akeson, 'Teach your children well' said Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. Absolutely, I say. Good stuff...

Namaste

Al

 

Post a Comment

<< Home