City Hippy

The diary of our struggle to live a green and fair life.

Google Search:


City Hippy

CityHippy has posted its last post now (I now work for EMP plc, run At Home magazine online and more and personally blog over at http://www.altepper.com). Why? Click here to find out. We might be back. Keep our RSS feeds, keep us bookmarked, sign up for the news alert on the right. You never know...


We are dedicated to exploring how to live a greener and more ethical life. City Hippy is a growing collective of writers bringing you two types of content:

ARTICLES: Enjoy real content by real people trying really hard to live a greener and fairer life. Generally in-depth with weekly updates at least. Located in main body below.Subscribe:
 
BOOKMARKS: Follow our web travels & explore our 1400+ links to a greener life across various categories i.e. baby, cosmetics, DIY, furniture, garden & shopping. Short, sharp and frequent updates. Located down to the right. Click here to see our latest three bookmarks.Subscribe:

ARTICLES:

Thursday, May 25, 2006

FEATURE: Slug Pub

I’m not having much luck with my slug problem. First, the slugs mocked my feeble attempt to repel them with eggshells (by eating them no less). They then made light work of clambering over the plastic bottles. Despite burying the base of the bottle a little, they still managed to get in (or over, or under). I haven’t experimented with sawdust, as it’s been raining heavily every day and I figured it would probably just get washed away. Damage so far: 1 entire chilli plant, a lot of bedraggled strawberry plants, and a very annoyed me!

I need to nip this in the bud, so to speak, before the first strawberries and tomatoes appear and the slugs enjoy a berry-fest at my expense.

So, having tried and failed to deter them, I’m going to resort to non-chemical elimination, by trying out something called a SlugX. It’s relatively cheap and reusable (although made from plastic) and there are many similar products of varying sizes available. Basically you fill a reservoir with beer. The slug is attracted to the yeasty smell, ventures inside and promptly falls in. It wasn’t my first choice, as slugs do form part of the food chain, mainly as fodder for birds. However, as there are many other factors preventing birds visiting my garden (in particular the neighbourhood cats), I don’t think eliminating slugs from part of my garden is going to have a detrimental effect. Also, as you place the SlugX close to those plants you want to protect, in theory only the slugs which are greedy enough to venture to the veggie patch will drown. Those that stay in the safety of trees and grass at the back get to carry on munching their little hearts out.

Admittedly this approach does mean I’ll need to pour myself a shandy with the surplus beer, what a chore.

Check back in a while to see if the SlugX lives up to its reputation.

Bye for now

Linda

Technorati tags:







1 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't need a special tub, any old tub of beer will do, such as a yoghurt pot. Ale works better than lager, in my experience.

Try planting things like chilli plants or strawberries in tubs and keeping them on a patio or hard-paved area - then you can ring them with organic salt.

Failing that, you'll just have to do what my husband does and, every time it rains, go out and spend 15 minutes stamping on slugs and snails.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home